Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Shorts - October 9

Lots of big games happened today in the NCAA and I decided to skip going to the gym and eating dinner in order to watch them all. Here's my analysis of the games I watched and the games I only kind of watched.

Lets start with the big one, 19th ranked South Carolina came out and beat the defending champs, Alabama. When I flipped over to this game and saw that the Gamecocks were up 21-3 my jaw hit the floor. S. Carolina's Garcia was super accurate and went 17-20 for 201 yards and 3 TDs. I'd never heard of this guy before this game, but man did he play great early and then keep playing well enough to win the game. The biggest surprise though was that the 'Cocks held the Tide's running game to a measly 36 yards. Let me say that again...36 yards! Now that number is a bit warped because of McElroy having -28 yards rushing but, this is the same team that was dominating teams with their running game and had the defending Heisman Trophy winner in Mark Ingram. He only had 41 yards  on 11 carries, that is just ridiculous. I'm not a Bama fan, but I was hoping they would just go undefeated and play Ohio State for the 'ship so we could stay away from the Boise controversy. Not because I don't want a play-off, but because I'm tired of hearing about it. Hats off to the Gamecocks though, they played a great game and did what I didn't think anybody could do.

Up next is the game that could kill Denard Robinson's Heisman hopes. Michigan State came into the Big House and dominated Michigan. This is what I was worried about two weeks ago when I posted my Heisman Watch, but last week did something to take those concerns away, but now I'm right back there. Robinson still had decent numbers outside of 3 costly picks, but with this game on national TV his chances could be hurt a lot especially with Terrelle Pyror playing so well today.

LSU and Florida had a really good game that went down to the wire. LSU won in the closing seconds with a big drive that had a sweet fake field goal in it. This was the game of the week for me just because of how great the ending was. LSU seems to of found some of an offense, but with how well it's D is playing it might not need a great offense.

The final game I watched that was excited was the Arkansas A&M game. Ryan Mallet did some good work in trying to erase that Bama game from people's minds, but I'm not positive he's done enough yet. This was a good win for the Razorbacks and could hurt the Big 12 as a whole. This A&M team is going to be a tough out and if they can sneak out a win against someone like OU that could hurt their chances to go to the 'ship because A&M has two loses. That's all speculative of course, but I don't think anyone in the Big is unbeatable so this does seem like it's shaping up to be the actual year that a non-BCS school is going to play for a championship.

I'm going to save my Heisman Watch for tomorrow so I can wait to get my stats right, so see ya next time. Some time, same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment