Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Stats - October 3

I wanted to post a story in this post, but I think I'm going to use the space today to look back on yesterday's NCAA football games and post my updated Heisman rankings. You're also going to get some basketball in your football because I'm going to do what I forgot to do yesterday and give out my preseason NBA Award watch list. So, let's get to it.

Heisman Rankings-

1) Denard Robinson QB, Michigan- 1008 passing yards, 7 TDs, 905 rushing yards, 8 TDs. I think I'm going to take back what I said last week. I still don't think Michigan is going to keep winning...at least against teams like Ohio State, but I fully expect Robinson to win the Heisman. This guy could legitimately put up 2,000 yards passing and rushing. There's just doesn't seem to be any way this guy doesn't win the Heisman.

2) Kellen Moore QB, Boise State- 1069 passing yards, 11 TDs. Moore jumps up two spots for me this week not because of what he did, but because of what other guys did. I think Moore will be around all year, but I'm fairly confident that he's looking at finishing 4th in Heisman voting at best. That said, Moore can sling it and, even though the Broncos got jumped this week they might still have a shot at the BCS. Mostly because, unlike most other undefeated teams left, they don't play anybody.

3) Terrelle Pyror QB, Ohio State- 1015 passing yards, 12 TDs, 373 rushing yards, 3 TDs. Pyror only slipped because he got hurt and only had a decent game with 76 yards passing, 2 TDs, and 105 rushing yards.The good news is that came the Buckeyes won, the bad news is they almost lost to a pretty average Illinois team. He should be able to pick it back up this week and regain the second spot with a decent chance to challenge Robinson.

4) Ryan Mallet QB, Arkansas- 1438 yards passing, 10 TDs, 2 rushing TDs. Mallet only slips because the Hogs were off this week. I think he's going to come out swinging next week and regain his old spot in the rankings.

5) LaMichael James RB, Oregon- 712 rushing yards, 7 TDs. Going off for three TDs in a huge win over Stanford shot James up my chart. I have a feeling he'll fall a bit after that huge win, but he does play on one of the best offenses in the league so he might be able to hang on. Only time will tell, but for now I gotta give the Ducks props for dominating the second half of that game.

Just Missed: Andrew Luck, Mark Ingram, and my homer pick, Justin Blackmon.

NBA Award Predictions-

Defensive Player of the Year- Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks. As I've said I'm biased towards Smith, but I really think Dwight Howard's D is overrated and only wins because of his huge blocks and the fact he gobbles up defensive boards. Let's be honest though there's really not that many great big men in this day and age so you expect someone with his skill set to dominate that position. This award should go to someone whose covering the best players in the league, the Lebrons, the Kobes, the D-Wades...not someone who gets to play against guys like Salem Dalenbert and Marcus Camby. Hopefully the award that's been going to the wrong guys for many years (read centers) will show the little guys some love this year.

Sixth Man of the Year- Lamar Odom, LA Lakers. I really don't see any competition for Odom if he stays helathy. Nobody coming off the bench is as talented and as big of a match-up problem as Odom. This award is his to win.

Rookie of the Year- Evan Turner, Philadelphia 76ers. I'm tempted to put John Wall here because of the recent success of fast rookie point guards. However, he also has Kirk Hinrich and Gilbert Arenas on his team, both of which are proven point guards. Evan Turner on the other hand can play the 1-3 and be great at it so he will start immediately and be able to produce on a team that, on paper, could make a leap forward this season. A backcourt of him and Andre Iguodala is going to be nasty.

MVP- Kevin Durant, OKC Thunder. Lebron is going to lose stats to D-Wade and vice versa so if they don't get 72+ wins they're both out. Kobe is much more concerned with the 'ship and will save some for the play-offs. Nobody else is close to Durant right now. He's going to win this award barring injury and could win the next few if he keeps up his recent level of play.

See ya next time. Some time, same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment